format war

Imported or Domestic, all animation rules. Feel free to discuss non-animated television and film, too.

Moderators: Mr. Kyokasho, Dan

format war

Postby ma-kun » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:16 am

its official, the war is over

HD-DVD Is Dead
February 17, 2008

urlSony's high-def gamble paid off. Toshiba, developers of the HD-DVD format, main competitors against Sony's Blu-ray in the high-def format war, will stop production on HD-DVD players.

No official announcement has come from Toshiba on the news, but Japan's NHK and Reuters both cite sources from within the company saying that production on the format will end this year.

The news comes at the end of a tough week for HD-DVD. On Monday Netflix announced they would drop the format, and later WalMart followed suit.

Now Sony just needs to hope their format stays relevant and no one starts downloading high-def movies.
ma-kun
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby edcool1 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:18 am

I don't even know anyone with an HDTV, so this is all still rather irrelevant...

But I knew Blu-Ray was superior from the beginning, it just got rushed to marked too soon.
ImageImage
If you can't trust Ed, then who can you trust? Did you miss me?
edcool1
MNSC: Most Valued Poster

Location: Let's put weird and weird togeather, and make it even weirder!

Postby gundamzuki » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:25 pm

With the superior data storage capability of Blu-Ray, it had been my pick of the two.

And I don't see any real piracy issues beyond what is already taking place. Digital technology has reached a point where those who want to pirate stuff already do. I predict that the piracy war will soon shift it's focus from new encryptions to heavy PR campaigns. That's not to say that companies will give up on the encryption front, just that they've reached a dead end and will be forced to find new fronts to wage their battles.
Card compliments of Aquarious. You rock.
"You're like Tigger on crack!" - Poopie
gundamzuki
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby NK » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:22 pm

All I can hope for is A) Blu-Ray drives don't break at the drop of a hat like most everything else associated with Sony, and B) that BD gets a big enough foothold before downloadable content kills off physical media. Because I have about 30 DVDs worth of stuff I need backed up, so I'd like to have easy access to BD discs and burners for the forseeable future.

Oh, and movies, too, I suppose. Y'know, if I win the lottery, decide I want a marginal increase in resolution in my movies, and buy a 48" or larger HDTV so I'd actually be able to notice the difference. :)

(A TV with poorer resolution than my 19" CRT. The Photoshop monkey in me cringes at the notion.)
NK
The Midnight Snack Club

Return to Animation is Faboo!