technology

This is the place to discuss tech news and stuff. If you need help with something, ask away!

Moderators: Mr. Kyokasho, Dan

technology

Postby black_hacker » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:54 am

i was thinking of getting a new computer sometime soon but i don't really know that much about the best brands and all. If any one could help that'd be geat. :D

'snow cone?'
'GET AWAY FROM ME YOU FREAK!!!!'
black_hacker
I've been here a while.

Postby X » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:28 am

It all depends on what you're looking for in a system.

If you want an average system, used mostly for browsing and other petty tasks, pick something out with a Celeron processor or an AMD Sempron. They do the job, and they come at an extremely affordable price.

If you want to build your own system, my recommendations are AMD processors, PNY Technologies RAM, Gigabyte motherboard, Western Digital hard drives, Sony CDROMs, Logitech keyboard/mouse, Creative sound card, Nvidia video card, etc., etc.

However, I think you're better off with a bit of a souped up pre-built system. Gateway, as of now, is not a good choice. With what I've had to work with on their newer models, I'm not very pleased with the results. Dell, on the other hand, has improved drastically, and make some pretty solid machines. But, I would recommend to you the use of an eMachine. They're quiet, efficient, and relatively cheap.

The eMachine that was purchased for me at work was for about $500. Has an Athlon64 with 512MB of RAM, 200GB, and up to 128MB shared video card (ATI X600). Overall, gives me all the power I'll ever need.

If you are getting a pre-built system, I'd suggest one with more than 512MB of RAM, mostly because of that shared memory issue. Also, I'd make sure to get it with a PCI-Express slot inside, just in case you want to do some upgrading to your video card.

So yeah, eMachine would be my first choice. Dell second, and homemade system 3rd. If all else fails, you could try Gateway, but don't get your hopes up if you want the system to function normally.
Dainix
"God help us. We're in the hands of engineers."
- Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
X
I live here.

Postby black_hacker » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:32 am

Thanks, that helps alot. :)

'snow cone?'
black_hacker
I've been here a while.

Postby NK » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:46 pm

Trouble with a lot of prebuilts is that they use a lot of bargain-basement parts, in some case some proprietary crap unique to that brand, which makes your tech support people very unhappy. :)

I'd say Dell, they seem to have cleaned up their act lately. eMachines, however, are the cheapest, falling apart-est pieces of crap i've ever had the displeasure of working on.

And if you're using the PC for gaming, especially anything less than a year old, you really want to build your own / have your own built for you. If you do get a prebuilt, make sure it has an actual video card. If the video is built into the motherboard, it will perform pretty poorly. And if that went over your head, don't worry. Whoever you buy the computer from should be able to help you with that if you pick a decent place. Hell, even the guys at Worst Buy can usually take care of a question like that.

Oh, and I strongly recommend Athlon 64 processors. They run extremely cool, and damn fast in my experience, though your mileage may vary.
NK
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby Mista_B » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:29 pm

I want: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Windows XP, Linux, and OS X on one computer?

Win.
Bad things happen because people are stupid.
Mista_B
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby aquarius » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:27 am

personally as soon as it is my choice i am getting off anything that runs windows, i just hate it, with a incomprehensable passion.

i would go with a prebuilt mac, great for artsy stuff. not so much for gaming, as cool as they are i have heard bad things about alienware so avoid that

i would say get a good amount of cash together and your favorite computer dork and get them to help you/ build one for you.
"and Aquarius wanted her choice of weaponry - a squeeky hammer - to make an appearance."-the dan
aquarius
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby edcool1 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:29 am

You know, I think any of the new macintels are a good choice. If you have money issues, go for the mac mini. If price is no object, go for that imac or macbook pro. They run windows now, officially, so you know...You can't go wrong.

I think when the new OSX comes out I might get one.
ImageImage
If you can't trust Ed, then who can you trust? Did you miss me?
edcool1
MNSC: Most Valued Poster

Location: Let's put weird and weird togeather, and make it even weirder!

Postby X » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:48 pm

They have officially released the software to install Windows on an Intel Mac, but it's still in its beta stages. If you're getting a Mac for that reason, I'd wait until the next OS X release. It's suppose to have this feature fully implemented.

But yeah, Intel Macs have been doing really well in the performance market. Better than I thought they would. MacBook Pro laptops are the fastest Core Duos out there, so if you can snatch one, you won't be disappointed.

What I'd like is one of the new iMacs. They're just downright sexy.
Dainix
X
I live here.

Postby NK » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:58 am

I haven't seen this for myself, but Eric Burns claims that his Macbook, via Boot Camp, runs [url=http://www.websnark.com/archives/2006/04/we_were_unable.html]City of Villians as well as a mid-to-high-end gaming box. So, y'know, take that as you will. :)

If you can afford it, a Mac is probably the way to go, just because of all the maintenece it saves you. My computer is the only Windows box i've worked on that wasn't horribly screwed up in some fashion, seeing as you need to babysit the stupid things so much.
NK
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby black_hacker » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:50 am

I reckon i'll probably get a dell, cos macs are good but i need it to be compatable.

Did that make sense? :?

'snow cone?'
black_hacker
I've been here a while.

Postby edcool1 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:53 am

Not really because now macs are compatable.

Dells are probably less expensive though.
ImageImage
If you can't trust Ed, then who can you trust? Did you miss me?
edcool1
MNSC: Most Valued Poster

Location: Let's put weird and weird togeather, and make it even weirder!

Postby Mista_B » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:06 am

Mista_B
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby X » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:10 am

The new Macbook Pro notebooks and iMac desktops are compatible, most definitely. With the Boot Camp beta software out, you can install any piece of Windows software onto it, and also be able to dual boot between Mac and Windows.

If, however, you are on a tight budget, Dell will probably work for you. They have new notebooks available with Intel Duo Cores for $700-$800.
Dainix
X
I live here.

Postby Tails » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:16 am

X wrote:The new Macbook Pro notebooks and iMac desktops are compatible, most definitely. With the Boot Camp beta software out, you can install any piece of Windows software onto it, and also be able to dual boot between Mac and Windows.

True, but said Dell comes with Windows. Unless he needs a mac for something, why bother? :P
(\ _/)
( -.-)zzzz
c(")(")
Tails
The Midnight Snack Club

Postby Mista_B » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:47 am

Mista_B
The Midnight Snack Club

Next

Return to I Love My Computer